8-Day Artisan I: Vegetables, Grains, Legumes + Healthy Cooking and Eating
The focus of this course is on the simple fact that the world of vegetables, grains, legumes, and greens offer more flavour combinations, colours, textures, and play than any other ingredient we can transform from cutting board to plate. The key, of course, is knowing more about how to use them. We will create plates in which these components are the “stars” and not just sides. With each class you learn not only new take-away ideas, but how to personalize them. The course culminates with The Big Night— a complimentary five-course menu which you will compose and execute with teammates, and serve at Northwest to your invited guests.
Dates to be determined
$991 (taxes included, apron, and curriculum)
Bring a +1 (or complete Basics I or II) and receive 10% off
You will need: a Chef’s knife, pairing knife, peeler, bench scraper, towels, comfortable shoes.
To sign up for these courses you can contact Lena at 604-876-7653 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Various cooking and preserving methods with seasonal vegetables
- Storing (for instance, tomatoes never in the fridge), blanching, and pickling;
- Grain and legume cookery;
- The virtues of the rice cooker
- Ultimate grain salad ideas
- Grain pilafs and “risotto”
- Thai inspired root vegetable stews and stir-fries
- Vegetable “noodles”
- Middle Eastern and Latino inspirations
- Introduction to macrobiotic concepts and eating the Middle Way
- Fennel-zucchini lasagna
- Hand-made gluten-free Pappardelle w/ Portobello Bolognese
- Lentil Kofte
- Burgers and “meat loaf”
- and much more.
Meals will be matched with wines, but also alternative drinks.