This program is designed with employability in mind, particularly in specific areas where a high level of confidence and expertise is demanded in the industry.
The student is exposed to many complex techniques and preparations; from laminating dough, cake decorating, chocolates, sauces, and artisanal breads. Emphasis is placed on accurate performance, patience, diligent hand skills, and detailed understanding of scientific principles and creative design (see photos of 100% student creations).
Next start dates:
September 4, 2017
January 8, 2018
April 30, 2018
September 3, 2018
Monday to Friday 9:00am – approximately 4:00pm.
$10,450 for Canadian residents
$11,950 for International residents
Tuition increases for 2018 (for applications received after Nov. 8)
$11,450 for Canadian residents/United States citizens
$13,450 for International residents
Uniform Cost: $448.00
Pastry Supplement for those who started in Culinary: $115
Food Safe*: $100.00 (tax included)
*Note: Toolkit, Textbook, and Food Safe may be supplied by the student or purchased from the school. Prices subject to change without notice.
Average student-instructor ratio is 8:1.
The qualities we look for (which, by the way, we demand of ourselves) are:
- a disciplined learner with an open mind.
- a commitment to hard work, every day.
- a willingness to practice and study beyond class hours – music students do not leave their instruments in their school locker, nor actors leave their script behind.
- an ability to adapt to different teaching and learning styles
- an ability to communicate honestly, intelligently, and diplomatically with peers and instructors
- a willingness to be challenged and digest constructive criticism
- a passion for fine pastries and baking (however, this should not even have to be mentioned)
Architectural Drawing Of Pastry Kitchen
Intro to essential ingredients + cookies & confections
Quick breads + Laminated dough
Danishes + Pies & Tarts
Artisinal Breads I + II
European tortes + Entremets
Mousse cakes + Buttercream cakes + Custards
Chocolate tempering + Molded chocolates
Plated Desserts I + 2
Sugar art + Gumpaste
Final Practical exam
Student Menu Development + Service Day
Also covered throughout the curriculum are the following: Marzipan, ice cream/gelato, sugar blowing, ethnic desserts, food costing, menu design, pastry history, food science, plating techniques, hygiene, food safety, green and sustainable practices, knife cuts, gluten-free baking principles, white sugar alternatives.