This program is designed with employability in mind, particularly in specific areas where a high level of confidence and expertise is demanded in the industry.
The student is exposed to many complex techniques and preparations; from laminating dough, cake decorating, chocolates, sauces, and artisanal breads. Emphasis is placed on accurate performance, patience, diligent hand skills, and detailed understanding of scientific principles and creative design (see photos of 100% student creations).
Next start dates:
January 9, 2017
May 1, 2017**
September 4, 2017
Monday to Friday 9:00am – approximately 4:00pm.
**Please Note: In the Spring (May) term we will be offering both a morning and evening session of our
Professional Breadmaking and Pastry Program.
Morning classes will run: 8am to approximately 3pm
Evening classes will run: 4pm to approximately 11pm
$10,450 for Canadian residents
$11,950 for International residents
Uniform Cost: $448.00
Pastry Supplement for those who started in Culinary: $115
Pastry: $200 (Sarah Labensky – On Baking, Most Recent Edition)
Food Safe*: $100.00 (tax included)
*Note: Toolkit, Textbook, and Food Safe may be supplied by the student or purchased from the school. Prices subject to change without notice.
Average student-instructor ratio is 8:1.
The qualities we look for (which, by the way, we demand of ourselves) are:
- a disciplined learner with an open mind.
- a commitment to hard work, every day.
- a willingness to practice and study beyond class hours – music students do not leave their instruments in their school locker, nor actors leave their script behind.
- an ability to adapt to different teaching and learning styles
- an ability to communicate honestly, intelligently, and diplomatically with peers and instructors
- a willingness to be challenged and digest constructive criticism
- a passion for fine pastries and baking (however, this should not even have to be mentioned)
Architectural Drawing Of Pastry Kitchen
Intro to essential ingredients + cookies & confections
Quick breads + Laminated dough
Danishes + Pies & Tarts
Artisinal Breads I + II
European tortes + Entremets
Mousse cakes + Buttercream cakes + Custards
Chocolate tempering + Molded chocolates
Plated Desserts I + 2
Sugar art + Gumpaste
Final Practical exam
Student Menu Development + Service Day
Also covered throughout the curriculum are the following: Marzipan, ice cream/gelato, sugar blowing, ethnic desserts, food costing, menu design, pastry history, food science, plating techniques, hygiene, food safety, green and sustainable practices, knife cuts, gluten-free baking principles, white sugar alternatives.